Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

Recipe of the week: Meghli

Last Challenge before I travel

For the last time my hubby requested for a sweet called Meghli. Me being not familiar with this kind of dessert I need to use my resources to find out on how to make this. Thanks to my lovely friend Rou’a who shed some light over me.

Just to share the info, according to my friend Meghli is usually being serve on the birth of the child or in Christmas time. Meghli is an authentic and traditional Lebanese sweet dish made from rice and caraway, anise and cinnamon. Meghli, which means “boiled” in Arabic, was so-called because of the long time (up to an hour) it must be continuously stirred while boiling.

After doing this dessert I can say that the long stirring part is the fun part for me, coz it symbolizes that this dessert was really made out of love and patience.:)

Here’s the recipe hope you’ll enjoy it as much as my hubby enjoyed it.

Ingredients:
1 cup rice flour
1 cup white sugar
8 cups water
1 tablespoon ground caraway seeds
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon anis seeds

For the toppings: raw almonds, pistachios, and coconut flakes

1.In a mixing bowl, put 1 cup cold of water. Add the rice powder, mix until dissolve. Add sugar and spices.
2.In a cooking pot, put the remaining water (7 cups) to boil, and slowly add the spice/rice mixture.
3.Keep stirring. (This is the fun part ;) )
4.Stir until it thicken. It will cook for about 45 minutes to an hour. When the back of the spoon is already coated with the mixture its an indication that it already cook.
5. Transfer it into serving bowl and let it cook.
6. Meanwhile, add water to almonds and pictachios and let them sit until they soften. (about half an hour)
7. Before serving the pudding garnish it with coconut falkes and soften almonds and pistachios.


Comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Everythingtastiful